Η πύλη Παντοκράτορα άνοιξε για το κοινό στα μέσα του Μαϊου 2009, με ώρες επίσκεψης καθημερινά 8:30 – 15:00.
At the end of Odos Kalokairinou is the Chania Gate of the Venetian city walls. This gate dates from the second half of the sixteenth century when the Venetians completed most of the currently surviving defences. You can still see elaborate carvings on the gate such as a winged lion and a relief bust of the Pantocrator.
The city side of this gate had two entrances to vaulted passageways. The larger one on the left led directly to the southern provinces, whereas the military entrance on the right ran to the southern piazza bassa in the Pantocrator Bastion.
The Pantocrator is depicted in relief above the main arch, together with a Latin inscription reading OMNIPOTENS (Pantocrator), which is repeated in Greek characters in the same place on the outward facade. The monumental side, designed by Michele Sanmichele, features two symmetrically arranged vaulted entrances, both surrounded by alternating dark and white stone slabs and flanked by pilasters.
This gate is also known as the Chania Gate, or Chanioporta. The existing arch was built 1915 so that the main road of the city exits towards west leading to the road to Chania.
The old Gate of Pantokratora opened mid May 2009 for the public to visit on daily basis 8:30 – 15:00 (Saturdays and Sundays closed).
Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια.