Σπιναλόγκα – Spinalonga

arrowEnglish version further below

Η Σπιναλόγκα είναι ένα μικρό νησάκι το οποίο κλείνει από τα βόρεια τον κόλπο της Ελούντας στην Επαρχία Μεραμπέλλου του νομού Λασιθίου Κρήτης. Το αρχαίο του όνομα ήταν Καλυδών αλλά μετά την κατάληψη του από τους Ενετούς ονομάσθηκε Σπιναλόγκα. Οχυρώθηκε άριστα από τους Ενετούς τόσο από κατασκευαστικής και αρχιτεκτονικής άποψης όσο και από απόψεως αισθητικής του όλου τοπίου που και σήμερα ακόμη διατηρεί την αξεπέραστη ομορφιά του.

Σπιναλόγκα 1500-1900 μ.Χ.

Άρχισε να οχυρώνεται το 1574 όταν οι Τούρκοι είχαν καταλάβει την Κύπρο και οι Ενετοί καταλάβαιναν ότι σε λίγο θα ερχόταν και η σειρά της Κρήτης. Με την οχύρωση του νησιού αυτού οι Ενετοί ήθελαν αφενός να διαφυλάξουν στον κόλπο της Ελούντας τα πλοία τους από τους πειρατές και από τον τουρκικό στόλο, αλλά και να εξασφαλίσουν τις αλυκές της Ελούντας από όπου θα έπαιρναν το αλάτι για την Μεσευρώπη αφού είχαν στερηθεί των παρομοίων της Κύπρου.

Μετά την κατάληψη της Κρήτης το 1649 από τους Τούρκους η Σπιναλόγκα έμεινε ακόμη στα χέρια των Ενετών άλλα 65 χρόνια μέχρι το 1715. Αυτό οφείλεται στην άρτια οχύρωση της. Όλο αυτό το διάστημα των 65 χρόνων εκεί έβρισκαν καταφύγιο οι «Χαίνιδες» οι επαναστάτες Κρητικοί που μην αντέχοντας τους σκοτωμούς, τις δολοφονίες, τους απαγχονισμούς, τι λεηλασίες, τους εξανδραποδισμούς που από την πρώτη μέρα εφάρμοσαν οι νέοι κατακτητές Τούρκοι στο νησί, ανέβηκαν στο βουνό και άρχισε αμέσως το αντάρτικο με τις συνεχείς επαναστάσεις μέχρι το 1898 που έφυγε και ο τελευταίος Τούρκος από την Κρήτη.

Λεπροκομείο: 1905-1957

Το 1905 χρησιμοποιήθηκε ως Λεπροκομείο όπου οδηγήθηκαν όλοι οι λεπροί της Κρήτης, οι οποίοι πρώτα βρίσκονταν απομονωμένοι στη «Μισκινιά», έξω από το Ηράκλειο, και ήταν εστία μολύνσεως και για τον υπόλοιπο λαό.

Κατά την περίοδο της Ιταλογερμανικής κατοχής οι κατακτητές δεν τολμούσαν να αφήσουν ελεύθερους τους λεπρούς και ήσαν αναγκασμένοι να τους τροφοδοτούν οι ίδιοι, δεδομένου ότι το απέναντι χωριό Πλάκα το είχαν εκκενώσει και είχαν διώξει τους κατοίκους σε άλλα χωριά, όλη δε την παράλια περιοχή την είχαν οχυρώσει με πυροβολεία, πολυβολεία, υπόγειες στοές, ναρκοπέδια γιατί φοβόντουσαν απόβαση των Άγγλων σ’ εκείνο το μέρος. Ούτε ποτέ μπήκε στο νησάκι Ιταλός ή Γερμανός και γι’ αυτό λειτουργούσαν παράνομα ραδιόφωνα και ο γιατρός Διευθυντής Γραμματικάκης αντέγραφε τις ειδήσεις του Λονδίνου και του Καΐρου και τις μοίραζε ως δελτία ειδήσεων στους κατοίκους.

Τελικά το 1957 έκλεισε ιαθέντων των λεπρών με την ανακάλυψη των αντιβιοτικών φαρμάκων.

Στις ημέρες μας

Μετά το 1957 αρκετά δεκαετίες έμεινε αναξιοποίητη και μετά τον ενδιαφέρον των πολυάριθμων τουριστών άρχισε να γίνεται συστηματική αναστήλωση και επισκευή των παλαιών κτισμάτων, των οχυρωματικών ενετικών τειχών, των παλαιών οικιών, των δρόμων κλπ.

Χιλιάδες επισκέπτες επισκέπτονται κάθε χρόνο το πανέμορφο αυτό νησάκι με καραβάκια που ξεκινούν κάθε μία ώρα από τον Άγιο Νικόλαο, την Ελούντα και την Πλάκα που βρίσκεται ακριβώς απέναντι στην στεριά και απέχει περίπου 800 μέτρα.

…….. English version ……..

The island of Spinalonga (official name: Kalidon) is located at the eastern section of Crete, near the town of Elunda. The name of the island, Spinalonga, is Venetian, meaning «long thorn», and has roots in the period of Venetian occupation. This location is also the setting for Victoria Hislop’s bestselling novel The Island and Werner Herzog’s experimental short film Last Words.

The Venetian cartographer Vincenzo Coronelli reports that Spinalonga was not always an island, but was once linked with the adjacent peninsula of Kolokitha. He mentions that in 1526, the Venetians cut down a portion of the peninsula and thus created the island. Because of its position the island was fortified from its earliest years in order to protect the entranceway of the port of Ancient Olous.

Olous, and accordingly the wider region, were depopulated at the middle of the 7th century because of the raids of the Arab pirates in the Mediterranean. Olous remained deserted until the middle of the 15th century when the Venetians begun to construct salt-pans in the shallow and salty waters of the gulf. Consequently, the region acquired commercial value and systematically became inhabited. This fact, in combination with the Turkish threat to use gunpowder for warlike purposes, particularly after the occupation of Constantinople in 1453, and the continuous pirate raids, forced the Venetians to fortify the island.

In 1578 the Venetians charged the engineer Genese Bressani to plan the island’s fortifications. He created blockhouses at the highest points of the northern and southern side of the island, as well as a fortification ring along the coast of the island that closed out any hostile disembarkation. In 1579, the General Previsor of Crete Luca Michiel put the foundation stone of the fortifications. There are two inscriptions that cite this event: one on the transom of the main gate of the castle and the other on the base of the rampart at the north side of the castle. In 1584, the Venetians, realising that the coastal fortifications were easy to conquer by the enemies attacking from the vicinal hills, decided to strengthen their defence by constructing new fortifications at the top of the hill. The Venetian fire would thus have bigger throw, rendering Spinalonga an impregnable sea fortress, one of the most important in the Mediterranean basin.

In addition, in 1579 the Venetians built a fortress on Spinalonga over the ruins of an acropolis. They kept control of the island until the Ottoman Empire took possession of it in 1715.

Following the Turkish occupation of Crete in 1669, only the fortresses of Gramvousa ,Souda and Spinalonga remained in Venetian hands; they would remain so for almost half a century. Many Christians found refuge in these fortresses to escape persecution. In 1715, the Turks came to terms with the Venetians and occupied the island. At the end of the Turkish occupation the island was the refuge of many Ottoman families that feared the Christian reprisals. After the revolution of 1866 other Ottoman families came to the island from all the region of Mirabello. In 1881 the 1112 Ottomans formed their own community and Later, in 1903, the last Turks left the island.

The island was subsequently used as a leper colony, from 1903 to 1957. It is notable for being one of the last active leper colonies in Europe. The last inhabitant, a priest, left the island in 1962. This was to maintain the religious tradition of the Greek Orthodox church, in which a buried person has to be commemorated 40 days, 6 months, 1, 3 and 5 years after their death. Other leper colonies that have survived Spinalonga include Tichilesti in Eastern Romania, Fontilles in Spain and Talsi in Latvia. As of 2002, few lazarettos remain in Europe.)

There were two entrances to Spinalonga, one being the lepers’ entrance, a tunnel known as Dante’s Gate. This was so named because the patients did not know what was going to happen to them once they arrived. However, once on the island they received food, water, medical attention and social security payments. Previously, such amenities had been unavailable to Crete’s leprosy patients, as they mostly lived in the area’s caves, away from civilization.

Today, the unoccupied island is one of the main tourist attractions in Crete. In addition to the abandoned leper colony and the fortress, Spinalonga is known for its small pebble beaches. The island can easily be accessed from Elounda and Agios Nikolaos. Tourist boats depart from both towns on a daily basis. There is no accommodation on Spinalonga, meaning all tours last only a few hours. Boat trips from Elounda take approximately fifteen minutes while trips departing Agios Nikolaos can take nearly one hour.

The book «Island of the Damned» by Victor Zorba – a local expert on the island – is still in print. It relates the true story of the leper colony and, because the author met with the last governor of the colony, contains many exclusive photos and stories of the German occupation.

Source: WIKIPEDIA

Here is a video for you to have a view of the island.

3 σχόλια

  1. Στο χάρτη η διαδρομή από τον Άγιο Νικόλαο δεν καταλήγει στη Σπιναλόγκα. Είναι λάθος. Όλο αυτο είναι η χερσόνησος «Κολοκύθα». Η Σπιναλόγκα είναι το πολύ μικρό νησάκι που φαίνεται απέναντι από το χωριό «Πλάκα»

    • Εχετε δίκιο! Ο χάρτης που εμφανίζεται στο video έχει δρόμο που καταλήγει στη «Κολοκύθα» και όχι στη Σπιναλόγκα!
      Ευχαριστώ για την επισήμανση!
      Πραγματικά δεν το είχα προσέξει…

  2. Excellent post. I absolutely love this site. Thanks!


Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Σχολιάστε

Εισάγετε τα παρακάτω στοιχεία ή επιλέξτε ένα εικονίδιο για να συνδεθείτε:

Λογότυπο WordPress.com

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό WordPress.com. Αποσύνδεση / Αλλαγή )

Φωτογραφία Twitter

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό Twitter. Αποσύνδεση / Αλλαγή )

Φωτογραφία Facebook

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό Facebook. Αποσύνδεση / Αλλαγή )

Φωτογραφία Google+

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό Google+. Αποσύνδεση / Αλλαγή )

Σύνδεση με %s